Sunday, April 26, 2020

ASA 002 Yvonne Peng A02


In weekly reading "Precariously Positioned: Asian American Women Students' Negotiating Power in Academia" by Shannon Deloso, she stated the fact that the chance for students to speak up for their rights is very rare and easily to extinct under the pressure from the university. I personally haven't experienced such crude things that my voice and my need were purposely ignored. 

In my culture and education, respecting and following the order from the superior and the elder is somewhat encoded in my brain. My need and my rights may be once ignored and harmed but my brain could tell me it's okay to sacrifice myself to achieve a great goal for the group or to maintain the homeostasis in the society. In some cases, it is highly possible to be picked up if you speak out. You and the people around you will be categorized into a "questioned" group. Sometimes, we choose don't speak up not just because we are afraid of losing personal rights and interest, it is more because we are afraid to put our friends and family into a dangerous position and have their rights be harmed. A fighter would be brave if he/she feels there is nothing to lose; however, everything would be destroyed if it has a soft spot. I am willing to speak up for my right only in the case that all my family will never be affected. For example, if one day I got into a company and got harassed, I told my colleagues and they encouraged me to report the crime. However, lack of evidence and no witnesses helping made me lost the case. In the end, I was sent to the lower job position and my close colleges were invited to have a specific talk to tell the truth, otherwise, they would end up in the same situation like me.
Reference
Valverde, K.L.C (2013). Fight The Tower: Asian American Women Scholars Resistance and Renewal in the Academy. Rutgers University Press


No comments:

Post a Comment