Sunday, April 26, 2020

Weiqing Xu ASA 002 section A04 Week 5 blog


Among all of the readings assigned for this week, I was impressed by the article “Healing the Wounds and Ruptures of Graduate School” by Cindy Nhi Huynh the most because I am a girl who is dedicated to pursing my life in academia. I personally pay more attention to the women who tell the story of their doctorial life. When I read “I took very seriously the opportunity to be formally educated because my parents had not been.”, I started to be empathetic with her since I also treat my current education opportunity as a previous treasure due to the same reason. Then I moved to the subchapter “Bleeding Out”. In this subchapter Cindy talked about how she endured and what unfair treatments she faced. I am so sorry for her when she mentioned she lost her dad at a very young age and had to build “mental, physical, and emotional walls” to resist the hurt. But even if with such a strong wall, it is extremely shocking that she still got hurt in the graduate school. I was born and raised in a family full of happiness, then what will I feel and endure when I pursue graduate studies in academic institutions? I can’t imagine.




Question: According to the progress that mitigate the discrimination to the women of color in the academia we have made, when will we get the fair treatment?

Reference
Huynh C. (2020). An Offering: Healing the Wounds and Ruptures of Graduate School. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press






No comments:

Post a Comment