Sunday, April 26, 2020

Gabriel Yap A02 Week 5

Gabriel Yap
A02
Week 5

Out of this week's listed readings, I felt the most interested yet shocked by Cindy Nhi Huynh's article titled "An Offering: Healing the Wounds and Ruptures of Graduate School". In this article, the author reveals her traumatic experiences going through graduate school. Huynh was an excellent student that engaged herself in numerous opportunities and national meetings pertaining to her career. She had many qualifications that made her suitable for certain positions, but only as a pawn for another person. This is due to the way the academia treats their minority faculty. Always giving them the short end of the stick through harsh discrimination. When I read her in-depth descriptions of how she felt during this time, I could almost feel the pain she was conveying. The language she uses is so powerful that one can imagine how slow and painful her "gashes" and "bruises" were.
This got me worrying about if my experience in academia would be the same as her's. I began to consider the possibilities of myself facing these challenges if I happen to attend graduate school. Asian-American men highly populate the computer science industry, and one could take me for another pawn. If I happen to fail, I would be easily replaced.

I wonder: Does graduate school programs account for the amount of stress a student goes through during that time?

Image from: Mokrue, K. (n.d.). 5 Tips for Navigating the Stress and Anxiety in College. Retrieved from https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/5-tips-navigating-stress-and-anxiety-college


Source:
Fight the Tower: Asian American Women Scholars' Resistance and Renewal in the Academy, by 
     Kieu-Linh Caroline Valverde and Wei Ming Dariotis, Rutgers University Press, 2020, pp. 219-
     233.

No comments:

Post a Comment