Sunday, April 26, 2020

Mattia Sayson ASA 002 A02 Week 5

I found myself feeling very empowered by this week's reading, especially the chapter,"Precariously Positioned: Asian American Women Students' Negotiating Power in Academia." I am a young Filipina American woman student and was intrigued and proud of reading someone from my community also take charge and fight for the justice the students were facing in academia. Her feelings of anxiousness and self-doubt are feelings I know very well as it took a while for me to find confidence in my voice. However, the strength she gained as she worked with other students of color reminded me of my own experience of that sense of "power  in the people." I participated in the UCD4COLA strike as students were protesting in support of the injustice against graduate students in UC Santa Cruz. The author of this chapter, Shannon Deloso reminded me of two powerful Filipinx American woman student leaders who inspire me as a student in this system. They were able to organize for the Filipino American community on campus to rally together in solidarity with the rest of the student protesters. It was so powerful to see everyone stand with each other as we fight for what's right. Reading about Deloso's growth throughout this whole experience as she combats systemic struggles as well as internalized dilemmas proves her strength as an Asian American woman. Despite the stereotypes and the voices speaking against hers, she didn't back down. She is an example of one of the many powerful Asian Americans who did not let the ideas of others and the outdated perceptions of women stop her from taking action for her community. One question I have is "When will men be able to acknowledge the power of women and choose to stand with them instead of over them?"

Agreement Reached in San Francisco Hunger Strike to Fund Ethnic ...


References:
Deloso, S. (2019). Precariously Positioned: Asian American Women Students’ Negotiating Power in Academia. Fight the Tower. United States: Rutgers University Press

No comments:

Post a Comment