Sunday, February 24, 2019

Week 8 Zhikun Chen A02

This week's reading "Fucked Up-I Would Always Rather be Abnormal than Holistic" by Shana Bulhan Haydock talks about social acceptance of people with "mental health". Haydock expresses the idea that people are trying to be normal and behave the same as others and call everyone else problematic. Haydock tells us to be ourselves and forget about normality. The writer argues that if we increase the range of normality and count people with different behavior in, are they still considered to have mental problems? As a kid, I always try to be normal and mediocre, because it makes me feel safe and people won't notice me being different. My teacher always liked students that are quiet and do everything they are told. Now, I realized how sick it was. Everyone is different and no one has the right to tell them how they should be like. Not to mention those drug companies and mental health institutions. I guess that accepting who we are and respect others who are different should be the new fashion.

Image result for mental health cartoon
Image source: https://mymodernmet.com/gemma-correll-mental-health-comics/

Thoughts: I feel like sometimes I do have to care about how others think about me but most of the times I don't. It is hard to recognize the line in between. Nevertheless, focusing on the goal instead of bystanders is always the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment