Thursday, February 21, 2019

Victor Dionisio - Week 8, A01

In this weeks readings it focuses on sexuality, mental health, and faith within the Asian-American community. In the article, Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities by Boyung Lee was quite relatable, primarily because I come from a religious and Filipino-based background. However, being part of the LGBTQ+ community I have experienced a large amount of discrimination not only among my peers but my family as well. Growing up Catholic and in a traditional Filipino household, I was raised with a certain set of beliefs; one being that the definition of marriage was only defined between a man and woman who choose to spend their lives together. I was expected to live up to my parents’ expectations, which ultimately led me to hiding my identity. As it is a custom among many Catholics to get confirmed in their childhood years, I had to attend religious education. During my years in Catholic Faith Formation (CFF) I was taught to believe that homosexuality is sin, which sort of led me to develop this homophobic mentality for a couple of years. In hindsight was very hypocritical of me because I, myself identify as bisexual. My beliefs have completely changed since then.
Image result for homophobic
Question: How can we destigmatize sexuality within the Asian-American community?
Reference
  • John, Grace. “Why Homophobia Is More Common Among Asian Populations.” Study Breaks, 4 Mar. 2018. Retrieved from: https://studybreaks.com/news-politics/homophobia/
  • Lee, Boyung. "Teaching Justice and Living Peace: Body, Sexuality, and Religious Education in Asian-American Communities". Religious Education, 22 September, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment