Sunday, February 24, 2019

Week 8 - A01 - Jarrod Baniqued

Week 8
I’ll touch on two articles in general; right now I’m undergoing a bad head cold and can’t pay much attention to them.
The first article I read (Marohn and Somé, What a Shaman Sees in a Mental Hospital) on shamans’ view of Western medicine and mental health, promotes nothing but pseudoscientific claptrap. Maybe they’re good for providing placebo effects, but shamans are an unnecessary, illogical, outdated, non-peer-reviewed, and non-empirical presence in medicine. Obviously, though, Western medicine needs to evolve in its view of mental illness patients from pathological case studies to proper humans.
The second article I read (Lee, Teaching Justice and Living Peace) deals with the interconnections between Asian views of body, sexuality, and spirituality, the former two of which are taboo discussion topics in Asian family traditions. The article calls for a decoupling of body, sexuality, and spirituality, or at least more explicit and creative, fairer, and less male-centric ways of educating Asian people on these matters. This I wholeheartedly agree with.
Questions: What can Asian Americans do to even begin addressing the above issues? Are there any potential catalysts for such rethinking?
If I may be so bold as to answer my own questions, here are many Pew Research Center graphs that bring me hope, by which I mean I am biased toward because I am irreligious:

No comments:

Post a Comment