5 - 15 - 2017
A02
In "The Coddling of the American Mind," Greg Lukainoff and Jonathan Haidt talk about how the new generation of college students have become oversensitive. This has occurred by students almost being sheltered from how the real world is. They are being given "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" where the goal is to prevent anyone from being offensive but actually it is making it so whenever students for example hear a phrase that has been deemed "offensive" in the real world, they immediately call it out and become offended. To some extent I see this to be true. Some of my friends at times will joke by saying "triggered" which just points out a maybe slightly offending comment or remark. I think a point slightly related to this topic is how recently people look at public officials under a microscope to find a small minute detail and call them out on it. I've been watching a lot of news recently and everyone just seems to be looking at each other to find a flaw or mistake they have done and call them out on it. But sometimes it takes away from what is really important.
My picture is a meme I see all the time on reddit and the internet. It is used a joke where something that isn't meant to be offensive can be twisted to make it seem offensive. This can be seen sometimes as a word choice. For my question, I would wonder if there would ever be a limit to how sensitive the general public or college students can be? Is there a point when we will realize it does not matter in the given situation?
Lukainoff, G., & Haidt, J. (15, August 7). The Coddling of the American Mind. The Atlantic.
Pink Guy is Triggered | Filthy Frank. (2015, February 17). Retrieved May 14, 2017, from
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/915822-filthy-frank
No comments:
Post a Comment