Sunday, March 10, 2019

Week 10_Wesley Lee_ Section A01

In this week's reading, Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke, I found Martin Luther King's quote that was referenced to be quite powerful. He states, "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." We must be proactive in each other's fights since we are stronger as a group than as individuals. Systems only change if people work together and I believe injustices only get worse if we choose to ignore them or only focus on our own. I realized it that being woke can vary in definition and even about subjects. You can be woke about African American issues, but not Asian American issues for example. Even though it is impossible to be woke about every single possible system of oppression, I think it is important to remain open minded to others who know more about specific subjects and to learn as much as possible about these subjects. That way we can support more causes than those immediately affecting us. I learned a lot from this class and I hope to continue growing my knowledge even outside of college.

Q: Where can I find more resources to continue growing my knowledge once I am out of university?



References:

Valverde, C. (n.d.) CONCLUSION. Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke

(n.d.) Woke. Retrieved from https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/The-Other-Side-of-Being-Woke



No comments:

Post a Comment