Sunday, March 10, 2019

Week 10 - Chloriza Avila - Section A02

Image result for audrey lorde “For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us to temporarily beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring about genuine change. Racism and homophobia are real conditions of all our lives in this place and time. I urge each one of us here to reach down into that deep place of knowledge inside herself and touch that terror and loathing of any difference that lives here. See whose face it wears. Then the personal as the political can begin to illuminate all our choices.”As the quarter comes to a close, and after reading Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke, I reflect on what it truly means to be "woke" to the injustices of society as an Asian American womyn. From the beginning we have been taught to assimilate to the American way of life and neglect the cultures and values of our people.  This means that we're forced to learn about America through a lens that intentionally tries to erase our hxstories. It's important that we strive to unlearn all that we have been falsely taught, and relearn in order to become vehicles of resistance. After reading this week's article I began to reflect on the word "woke". When I hear "woke" I think of being awaken to the racism and sexism that has happened in the past and in the present. I think of being aware of my position as an Asian American and the expectations put upon me all because of the fear that my ancestors would rise above all. I think of the privileges I have and don't have as a womyn of color and dismantle the patriarchy. I think of my ancestors and the struggles they faced for me to be where I am today.  I think about my status at UC Davis and how I can possibly navigate a space that was not made for me. It all seems impossible, but all that I have learned both in this class and other spaces on campus has taught me to constantly resist oppression and struggle for freedom even in the darkest times. I think a better term that I always find comfort in is being "conscious". To be conscious literally means, "aware of and responding to one's surroundings". With the world that we live in today it's crucial that we are always aware not only of our surroundings, but of the injustices that are put on us as Asian Americans. We need to mobilize, advocate for ourselves and for each other, and use our voices to speak our truths all in a world that tells us that we can't.
Image result for quotes about resisting oppression
                                                         

Question: What are you doing to assure that you're not staying complacent with the oppression and injustices of society? How do you resist oppression and check your privileges in your own life?

References:

Valverde, C. Conclusion: Academics Awaken: power, Resistance, and Being Woke. Fight the Tower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment