Friday, March 8, 2019

WEEK 10 Hanlu Xu ASA 002 A01

Before I took this class, I thought it is a "paper" formed course which I use the materials to write several very long and profound papers. However, this class is so much fun and interesting. It takes me to a new world which I have never familiar with. The minority group, Hmong; the unfair game, Cambodian deportation issue; the unequal rights, LGBT social situation, and so on, these topics opened my eyes and gave me more opportunities to know this world, especially, the ugly part. Even though such issues are all negative part of society, each minority group contributes their all efforts, fights with dominant groups, and attempted to change the situation. Some of them already got rid of struggled life and be respected by others, but some of the others still live toughly and hope one day they can live peaceful without discriminations. In the class, we started from many different lenses to look at our society, including our college. The first time, 4 years ago, when I (an international student) walked on the campus, I never heard what's the meaning of "BLACK LIVE MATTERS" slogan on the Wellman hall. I did research online and the information made me feel so real that the world is just relatively peaceful, the wars are just relatively less than the last century. This is a social construction and history as a social engineer builds this a long story with distinctive groups. The plots of the story are to let each nation fight for their futures. As the Valverde said in the reading ""I choose to live for my people": On surviving, resisting, and thriving in Academia and Beyond", we need to stand up, speak up, fight for our people. It's the way to solve the problem instead of keeping silence and be bullied. In this more and more homogeneous but complex world culture, we should be our own social engineers to change the futures.

Question: Does the trend of homogeneous world culture can bring more conflicts between each group? What's the method to avoid conflicts during the process?


Reference:
Dariotis, W. M & Valverde, K. L. (n.d.). "Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke"

Image retrieved from https://fee.org/articles/the-losers-of-globalization-didnt-lose-from-globalization/



No comments:

Post a Comment