Sunday, March 10, 2019

Week 10 - Marissa Gomez-Alforja A03

This week's reading assignment wrapped up the course well; it reiterates the importance of being woke. Throughout the quarter, the readings that were assigned opened my eyes to a big problem that Asian American women face. After taking this class, I feel more woke about the university atmosphere and feel more prepared for the challenges that I am bound to face. The reading of the week also made me realize how important it is to stay woke. The world, people, and ideas are constantly changing. I have made it a goal of mine to try and keep up with the new news because I now know it doesn't only affect others, but me too. I think there is a bigger picture that many of us seem to forget. We are more powerful as a group. So to make the group larger, I think that more people should be aware of the issue and be more cautious of the higher-up's moves. Asian Americans, especially women, need to play smart and not allow oppression. Is there a group of "woke" Asian American women at UC Davis? If so, what are they doing to spread the "wokeness"?




References:
Valverde, C. Academics Awaken: Power Resistance, and Being Woke
Photo retrieved from: https://me.mashable.com/entertainment/1720/twitter-users-are-sharing-their-wednesdaywisdom-and-now-were

No comments:

Post a Comment