Thursday, March 7, 2019

Week 10 - Nai Saechao - Section A03

This class was very interesting to me because the style of teaching and interaction between the teacher and students is new to me. This class showed me that anything you say matters because you are able to let your voice out, and everyone is given a chance to speak out loud. After reading, “I Choose to Live for My People: On Surviving, Resisting and Thriving in Academia and Beyond”, I was able to so understand that this article is about empowerment for Asian American and on the purpose of living. In this article, it shows people that sacrificing yourself is for showing that you are doing it for a purpose. There is nothing that can make a change for your decision. This class can inspire many Asian American women because in most of the lectures there is a connection with Asian American women. There are times where Asian Americans are looked down on and they are isolated and being told that something is not good enough. The term “being woke” was new for me because I have never heard this term before this class. People need to be more aware of other things other than just the information that is told to them. What we want is unity and people to work well as a group, but we know that it will take time.



References:

Dariotis, W. M & Valverde, K. L. (n.d.). "Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke"

Williams, M & Murray, C. (2017). “From The Front Lines To Hollywood: These Influential Women Share What It Means To Be 'Woke'”

No comments:

Post a Comment