Sunday, February 3, 2019

Carson Ho - Week 5 - Section A04

Carson Ho
ASA 2 - A04

In Darrell Y. Hamamoto's "Empire of Death and the Plague of Civic Violence," he wrote about different stories of famous murderers, the social effect of murders, and the psychology behind the minds of killers. The reading was strong and even hard to read at times due to the graphic tone. While reading through Hamamoto's reading, I started to think about what kind of mindset do these serial killers have, but then I started to realize that they all had something in common. Hamamoto mentions that many of the murderers he talked about have some background in the military and I find that very interesting. For former soldiers to have to eventually reassociate themselves into civilian society is a harder task than can be imagined by the normal public. I feel like it would take a lot of psychological trauma and tragic experiences from war to have former soldiers turn into serial killers.

Also these killers have this weird complex in their mind that the act of killing gives them joy and satisfaction. It's like they have this desire to dominate other human beings and they drift away from normalized society. Their backgrounds also must have contributed to the murderers that they have become. Factors that I can think of involve childhood abuse, isolation, PTSD from war, and other hardships from early childhood into adulthood.



References:
Hamamoto, D.Y. (2003). Empire of Death and the Plague of Civic Violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment