Sunday, February 3, 2019

Week 5 - Yufei Liu - A04

When I was reading Empire of Death and the Plague of Civic Violence by Darrell Hamamoto, I was saddened by the many specific criminal cases that took place throughout American history. These stories reminded me how dangerous it is to live in the United States as an Asian Woman. The fact that Asian women are highly objectified and sexualized especially by white males is unacceptable. The word “yellow fever” does not come from nowhere, therefore Asian women like me am very careful and always skeptical when dating a white male. Asian women are generally perceived as weak, submissive, and exotic because the misunderstanding among different cultures. After reading Hamamoto’s article, I found a new piece of puzzle to add to the misunderstanding, that is the war history. One of the murderers used analogy of US soldiers gang raping and killing Vietnamese women during Vietnam war to justify his action of mutilating, raping, and murdering. My question is why are those US soldiers that committed those crimes against humanity not put in jail and bring justice to the victims? What are the government policies on post war issues like this?
Instead of portraying women as vulnerable victims during Vietnam war, I would very much rather to choose a picture of female soldiers that are brave to fight and loyal to their country.

Ryan, R. (2015, November 4). From hidden resistance to peace talks: women in the Vietnam War.
Retrieved from https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/from-hidden-resistance-to-peace-talks-women-in-the-vietnam-war/6907610

No comments:

Post a Comment