Reading:
“On Some College Campuses, A Focus On Asian American Mental
Health”
Visual Addition:
Reference:
Seligson, S.
(2015, February 9). Model Minority Pressures Take Mental Health Toll [Digital
image].
Retrieved February 5, 2019, from http://www.bu.edu/today/2015/model-minority-pressures-
Blog Entry:
In
this week’s lecture, the topic of mental health especially within the filipinx community was brought up and I could
really relate to it. As discussed, many Asian American students in college
experience a lot of pressure from the model minority title. I, too, have felt
the pressure to succeed not only for myself, others, and my family. I also have
been hesitant about receiving any form of health and thus a lot of unhealthy
coping mechanisms become a habit. The visual addition I have provided is linked
to an article that also discusses the suicide of an Asian American student who
felt very overwhelm by the model minority title. I find it very disappointing that
at this day and age we are still struggling to find the proper means to seek
mental health. It is also very sad that the causes of our mental health issues
stems from societal norms and wants rather than like a rare traumatic event. I hope
that in the future that we as Asian American students can feel comfortable and
supported within our communities to be able to seek out help with our mental
health.
No comments:
Post a Comment