After reading “Refugees, Rights, and Race: How Legal Status Shapes Liberian Immigrants’ Relationship with the State” by Hana E. Brown, I was able to see how immigrants are treated differently depending on their legal status within the host state. Legal refugees are those who received more protection in the United States. In this article, it was mainly focused on liberian refugees. I thought all immigrants were treated the same, but I learned that refugees are treated better by the state.
In my family my mom was also a refugee she said she was in the refugee camps, but I do not know if there were any special treatment for her and her family. I do not know if the government helped them find a house to live in or they had to do it themselves. What I realized from hearing about how my mom came to the United States, I thought it was crazy because they had to leave their home country and live somewhere they do not know much about. She also told be that she just listen to what her mother said and that’s how she settled in the United States.
References:
Brown, H. (2011). Refugees, Rights, and Race: How Legal Status Shapes Liberian Immigrants' Relationship with the State. Social Problems, 58(1), 144-163. doi:10.1525/sp.2011.58.1.144
B. Khoi (2018). “History is Repeating Itself for Asian Americans” Medium Corporation. https://medium.com/s/story/when-history-repeats-itself-asian-immigrants-in-the-era-of-trump-3a50ac8c877c
No comments:
Post a Comment