“Demands for the establishment and/or expansion of Asian American studies
programs have become a rallying cryfor Asian American student activists
across the country.”
“For today’s Asian American students, such programs mean institutional
support to think through the questions of identity, history, and activism with
which they are currently left to fend for themselves.”
These quotes from “What Asian Americans Are Bringing to Campus Movements for Racial Justice” really stood out to me because I truly agree with them. Someone looking in, from the outside, may not understand or cannot fully recognize the significance and contribution of Asian American studies programs. They can be so much more than a class, but a way to spread awareness, understand one’s history, prevent future atrocities of all races.
My eyes have opened so much since being in this class. I was not aware of certain things I have said in the past, certain stereotypes I would make fun or and adhere. I was not aware of the impact some of my past actions have made while I do identify as Asian American. This class has truly made me better and I am looking forward to learning so much more.
Question:
What are some things students can do to demonstrate the importance of current programs? How can we advocate for more programs at other schools that do not offer such courses?
Sources:
An, V. February 27, 2017. “The Power of Protest in Asian America.” Dumpling. http://www.dumplingmag.com/2017/02/the-power-of-protest-in-asian-america/.
Putterman, M. February 1, 2016. “What Asian Americans Are Bringing to Campus Movements for Racial Justice.” Race Files.

No comments:
Post a Comment