Saturday, April 8, 2017

Week 2- Kevin Tien Nguyen A02

Kevin Tien Nguyen
Section A02
Week 2

Kaozong Mouavangsou’s Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation of Hmong Americans makes notes about how the representation and misrepresentation of one’s culture can cause negative impacts within the community. Many curricula within the U.S often focuses on the U.S involvement on foreign matters from a U.S perspective, while glossing over much of the detail regarding the other parties involved. This leaves many communities of color often misinformed about their own cultures compared to what their ancestors have gone through.


There is a saying that goes around in some of the social organizations that I am apart of, “No history, no self. Know history, know self.” This phrase really spoke to me when I was in high school. Much of Southeast Asian history is often unspoken of, especially in many history courses taught in high school. I consider myself lucky given that my parents were very open to telling me and my sibling of what they’ve been through and their personal experiences coming to the U.S. When I was younger I always thought that it was just a sort of tall tale they would tell us in order for us to do our work. Now I see the power and the resiliency that comes from these stories.


Q. What would be the first steps to get rid of this miseducation and misrepresentation of communities of color?

Sources
 Mouavangsou, K. N. (2016). The Mis-Education of the Hmong in America (Doctoral dissertation, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS).



No comments:

Post a Comment