Sunday, April 23, 2017

Week 4 - Jo Kawabata

This week's readings were on the corporation of the universities. While it does not come across people's minds when excitedly choosing between the universities they have been accepted to, it for sure is something that affects the college experience. I was quite surprised when I read the article, A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis by Alan Markow. I did not know that UC Davis took the problem at hand in a much poorer way than a neighboring school UC Berkeley did.

When I entered UC Davis, I was very excited to enter one of the greatest schools to study animal science. However, after I entered, I learned about the dark parts of campus such as the Pepper Spray incident, which I was not aware of because I am from Pennsylvania, and other incidents. For example, last year I was considering transferring out of UC Davis and spoke to one of the professors on campus. He told me about the political power the campus holds against staff and faculty the campus and how has been upset at how little budget is spent on academics compared to the budget spent on building of new dorms, buildings, and other ways the campus can make money.

My eyes have been opened by this professor and ever since, I have noticed the amount of refurnishing the campus does while the university still struggles to make more classes. I believe that the university, especially as a state school, should be more to support the education of the people and supporting of research rather than working as a corporation only to make more money - the way UC Davis has been doing.

This is a picture of our past chancellor, Linda Katehi. This was the only active protest that I have witnessed where a huge problem on campus was revealed. I believe that this was one step towards breaking apart the corporation of the university. I hope to see the university move in a positive direction where the campus will begin to focus on what the school is really for.

Question:
Has there been any incidences where Professor Valverde has seen economic hardship as a professor that obstructed her from bettering the academic environment on campus?

References:
Markow, A. (2011, December 22). A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis respond to Occupy movements. Retrieved April 23, 2017, from https://ivn.us/2011/12/19/a-tale-of-two-campuses-berkeley-and-davis-respond-to-occupy-movements/


Lambertsstanton@sacbee.com, S. S. (n.d.). UC Davis students end sit-in calling for chancellor to resign. Retrieved April 23, 2017, from http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article71998317.html

No comments:

Post a Comment