Sunday, April 23, 2017

Week 4

Vance Lockmiller
Section A02
Week 4

In this week's reading, A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis Respond to Occupy Movements, Alan Markow discussed how two really big campuses dealt with related issues in totally different ways.  UC Berkeley responded to an occupy movement by pretty much agreeing with the argument brought to their attention about costs of tuition and deciding to lower to cost to make college more affordable to middle class families.  On the other hand UC Davis responded to an occupy movement by discussing the costs of cleaning up after the movement.

When I first was looking at colleges I wanted to go to, UC Davis was the main school I wanted to go to.  Naturally I researched about UC Davis and although I came across many articles and websites saying how great this school is for science, I also read about the pepper spray incident and also how muh money the school has paid to get rid of it on google and the internet. I was really shocked about how a great school could have major events where they mishandled the situation.  I will say that I have enjoyed my time here on this campus and met great people,  but I do wish that the school itself would give more to the students and listen to our criticism.

For my picture, I decided to use the image of the UC Davis pepper spray incident I remember seeing for the first time.  I think it is important to learn from previous mistakes.  With that in mind, it can help prevent more from happening in the future.



 Image result for uc davis pepper spray

Q:  Why did UC Davis pay so much to remove the pepper spray incident from the internet?


Markow, A. (2011, December 22). A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis respond to Occupy movements. Retrieved April 23, 2017, from https://ivn.us/2011/12/19/a-tale-of-two-campuses-berkeley-and-davis-respond-to-occupy-movements/

UC Davis defends paying to remove pepper-spray references from Internet. (n.d.). Retrieved April 23, 2017, from http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-uc-davis-pepper-spray-internet-20160415-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment