Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Week 3- Helen Jian

Helen Jian
Section A02
Week 3
            The article, “Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices” by OiYan Poon and Ajani Byrd talks about the influence of a tiger mom and how their children can feel the pressures of growing up with a tiger mom. Moreover, it talks about how tiger moms play a part in the selection of their children’s college. There are also many other factors that go into the decision of the children, such as ethnicity, gender, and college-going generations. That being said, this article mainly focused on the 1.5 and 2nd generation Asian Americans. Being part of the 1.5 generation of Asian Americans myself, I can say that technically, this idea related to my experience with picking out the college that I wanted to attend. Growing up, my parents were not very strict on me as a stereotypical tiger mom would be on their children. I was basically allowed to do many things freely, without many rules. I remember how my parents would rarely check my school reports or worry about my GPA as some of my other friend’s parents did to their GPAs. However, they did have expectations that I should do well in school without them having to worry about me or have the need to tell me to succeed. When it was time to apply to colleges, my parents left subtle hints about making the choice of staying close to home. Eventually, those hints turned into what I believed to be light demands. Since I did not experience parents who told me what to do growing up, this was something new to me. From my college application experience, it gave me the smallest bit of insight into a tiger mom situation. Although my experience was less severe than other situations, I can see how the stereotypical tiger mom influence has effect on even the smallest of cases.



Question: If a tiger mom’s actions/influences were severe enough, wouldn’t it cause their children to rebel?


References:
Poon, O., Byrd, A. (2013, Fall). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. 

Paul, Annie Murphy. Tiger Moms: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer?. 2011. Web. 22 Apr. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment