Monday, May 27, 2013

Tiger Moms

Austin Yu
section A01

After reading Amy Chua's "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior", I see the characteristics she uses to describe "Chinese mothers"in my parents. Although I agree that many Chinese mothers are similar in many ways in terms of their parenting methods, I think it's unfair to generalize this idea of "Chinese mother" parenting to all Chinese mothers. I know for a fact that many Chinese mothers do not raise their children in the same way. However, I do agree that a majority of Chinese mother are like this. Like Amy Chua said in the article, I agree that many Chinese mothers have very high expectations for their children. I remember as a child I thought it was very unfair for my parents to expect me to do so many things. However, I now know it is only because my parents care for me and they want me to have a good life. Back in my parent's home country, children there do not have the same opportunities as American children. This is why my parents pushed me super hard to do well in school because a good, free public education is very hard to come by in China and Myanmar. Amy Chua also mentioned how Chinese mothers often make many sacrifices for their family, and especially, for their children. I highly agree with this, and my mother also made huge sacrifices for me as well. Will this kind of "Chinese mother" parenting still exist in the 2nd or 3rd generation of Chinese people?


No comments:

Post a Comment