Friday, May 24, 2013

Not all Chinese parents are like that


Ka Pou Sin
Blog Entry for Week 9



In the article, “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior”, Amy Chua keeps emphasizing that Chinese parents are very strict with their child’s performance in school and they are very concern with getting straight A’s. She even mentioned that children raised by Chinese mothers will never get a B. However, I strongly disagree with her thoughts. My parents were raised in Macau and they were taught very strictly, which makes them the typical Chinese parents. However, my parents do not force me to get A’s and get crazy when they see a B on my report card. They are very encouraging and tells me to try my best. All they want from me is to be self- motivated and to work hard, by the results doesn’t matter to them. The only thing they expect from me to be do my best and to actually understand the material I have learned in class. It is not about grades that all Chinese parents care about; therefore, I believe that Amy Chua is over exaggerating and being too stereotype about Chinese parents. She also mentions that to train children into the becoming geniuses in different fields, is to not allow them to have any kind of entertainment or enjoyment, such as watching television or having sleepovers. This claim just makes Chinese parents seem like they are tying their children down and being cruel and mean to their children. I totally disagree with her views because from my personal experience, she is incorrect about her views and opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment