Friday, May 24, 2013

Tiger Moms in America

Sarak Ouch
Week 9


The article Why Chinese Mothers are Superior was very interesting to me because growing up, I witnessed this with my own eyes. My mother was not the tiger mom but I did have a best friend that had a mom like how the author described. She was fluent in two languages and play multiple instruments such as the violin and piano. I would always want to play with her but she had to practice daily with her instruments and that made me realize that I wanted to play an instrument as well. My Mom had some traits life of the tiger mom because she would not allow me to go to sleepovers or have play-dates with friends. To my mother, these extracurricular activities were not important. Also my mother was also able to say to me that I was getting fat to me bluntly unlike western Moms who would tell their daughters about having a healthy lifestyle. It was striking to me that a daughter had to publish an article to protect her moms intentions in the New York Post. I agree that some people may think Chinese Moms may be too strict on their kids but their intentions are only good and is culturally accepted amongst themselves. I think it is okay to be strict with kids as long as it does not damage their self esteem.




No comments:

Post a Comment