Monday, May 20, 2013

Korean Wave


Sharon Hong

When reading “Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows of Popular Culture across the Pacific” by Jun-Sun Park, I see that the whole world comes together through one- kpop. The amount of influence Korean culture has on not only America but also in many other countries such as Russia, Middle East, Africa, Europe, and many more is impressive. Once said in this article is how even the Asian countries came together through dramas and medias of Korea. Experiencing from first hand, I went to Taiwan during the summer and heard Korean songs be played in almost every store, and have Korean products be sold everywhere. Even though I feel as if every other country is accepting of Koreans, there are many cases when I feel as a minority, and so do many others in this reading. America needs Korea and hope that people will not be ignorant and discriminate other countries. The more globalized America is, the better it is for ourselves and others. My question is: why does America not see the benefits of globalization? Why do I feel discrimination in my own country but not in other countries?

No comments:

Post a Comment