Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chau's Art and Border Crossing


Aung Lin
ASA 2-Reading Reflection #8
Title: Chau’s Art and Border Crossing    
Word Count: 446
1.       Title: “Creating Identity, Defining Culture and Making History from an Art Exhibit: An Unfinished Story: A Tribute to my Mothers” by Caroline Valverde
Boat People in Vietnam 
I really disagree with some Vietnamese Americans about Chau’s art. I don’t think her works are disrespectful at all. I think she has a great way of honoring the lost of her country. Chau has a great way of displaying pain in her life through her artworks. She’s very good with coming up with symbols in her works. Anti-communists don’t respect Chau for her different point of view. Her photo “Pedicure Basin” that’s a tribute to her mother in law had a big negative effect on her name. People attacked her online claiming that she has no talent. These people completely don’t know the full story and have no right to pick on her. This shows how mean society is. They went too far when they started protesting over this after it was in Nguoi Viet Daily. People thought this newspaper was related to communist Vietnam. In the end, the editors that are responsible for publishing “Pedicure Basin” got fired to please the protesters.

Questions:
1)      How does the importance of Boat People in Vietnam play in their Vietnamese culture?
2)      What influenced Valverde to be so active in Vietnamese American community?



2.       “Korean American Youth and Transnational Flow of Popular Culture Across the Pacific” by Jung-Sun Park.
Korean Boy Band H.O.T. influenced by American Pop Culture
Korean Americans are lucky that they can see Korean films in America. In America, cable TV has a Korean channel. I’m Burmese and ever since the day I came to America, I never saw Burmese entertainment ever again. I love Burmese movies and hoped that someday when I go back to Burma for a visit, I planned to watch 100 of them. Border crossing in this article basically means adjusting to our new life in America. I finished border crossing couple of years after I came to America. I got used to my new life but I didn't turn into a white American. I still value my cultures, traditions, and beliefs. Korean youths are influenced by American music and pop culture. Just like Koreans, back in my country, Burmese youths are also influenced by American pop culture. They started to dress like US black rappers, and started to sing and dress like Britney Spears. Korean youths and Burmese youths like to imitate American pop culture style.

Question:
1)      Are Asian American youths Americanized a little bit after they finished border crossing in America?

No comments:

Post a Comment