Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reading Reflection #7: Day in the Life

Wingyan Yuen
Section A01
Reading: "Day in the Life" by Mike Ngo

In "Day in the Life," Ngo describes his time in the San Quentin prison. In there, he was suffering great stress. He always felt torn about assisting the oppressors, as he describes it as "my daily tug-o-war between principles and comfort." His past has also came back to haunt him. Apparently, he and his friends have some unpleasantry with an official, the "Nickel-plate," that results in him being in the prison. This past becomes his nightmare that haunt him all the time. But it also becomes his driving force in the prison.
"I promised myself two things: make Nickel-plate regret not killing me, and never again get caught in such a helpless position," said Ngo. This is also the reason he took the job as a clerk: "The majority of the day i spend reading, writing, exercising - doing things that benefit me and not my oppressors." I admire Ngo's courage while suffering from all that stress in prison.

Question: Will you take the job if you are in Ngo's position?

No comments:

Post a Comment