Friday, May 24, 2013

"Nothing is Fun Until You're Good At It"

In response to "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior" by Amy Chua
  
     This essay discusses the differences between western parenting and Asian parenting. She explains the method of creating prodigy children and why Asian parents think the way that they do. I do not necessarily agree with Amy Chua. When she mentioned her experience with her daughter and how she threatened her little girl to play a simple piano piece, I felt very uneasy. Being born in America and living in a very westernized home could be the reason why I feel the way I do. I experienced both westernized and Asian parenting. I was forced to play piano and my parents had certain expectations, but I've noticed that I found no motivation to learn something if I am forced against my own will. I feel if Asian mothers drill their children to a path that they ultimately do not want, then they do not have the drive or spark to pursue their goals whole-heartedly. I see it as preplanned destiny that is unavoidable. Many students in Korea commit suicide from the pressure of  parents and schools. I understand Asian parents want to prepare their children for the real world, but it is almost a militarized childhood. My mother had very strict father, she lived her childhood strictly by her parents. She has become successful, yet she always looks back and wonders what she could have done instead. Although my mom is very fortunate with her career, she always recalls the past with regret.
Does the majority of students who experienced Asian parenting become thankful for the harsh and strict childhood?

Claudia Chang
ASA02
Section A01

No comments:

Post a Comment