Thursday, May 30, 2013

Reading Reflection #9: Why I Love My Strict Chinese Mom

Wingyan Yuen
Section A01
Reading: "Why I Love My Strict Chinese Mom" by Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld

Chua-Rebenfeld wrote this response to Amy Chua's "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior" at the age of 18. The age a little girl starting to gain a sense of self-awareness. In this response letter, Chua-Rebefeld thanks her mother for pushing her to achieve her fullest.
She dismisses critics to her mother by stating that others do not understand what really goes on in the family. After reading her response, I get the sense that Chua-Rebenfeld is a teenager with independent mind and also great gratitude towards her parents, which most teenagers do not have today. After reading both "Why I Love My Strict Chinese Mom" and "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior" by Amy Chua, I am now a fan of the "tiger mom method," which is not about pushing one's kids to get As and awards, but is about pushing their limits.



Question: Do you think Chua-Rebenfeld really benefits the most from her mother's teaching method?

No comments:

Post a Comment