Sunday, May 26, 2013

Different Parenting Styles


Leigh Hiura
ASA2 Section A02
Reading: Why Chinese Mothers are Superior 

I could not believe what I was reading while going through this article. Sure, maybe Amy Chua’s methods worked but at what expense? Her children were not allowed to have playdates, sleepovers, watch tv or even choose their own extracurricular activities. I do not understand how a child could be raised that way. Growing up I was allowed to do whatever I wanted – within reason. I was pushed into basketball, soccer, dance, and piano but I was never forced to continue if I did not enjoy it. I am so grateful to have the loving and kind parents that I did who encouraged me to try out for musicals in elementary school and who supported me when I quit soccer. Sure when I did not understand multiplication tables my mom made me study harder and wrote out flash cards for me but it was for my own good and she rewarded me and made sure that I knew that she was there to help me and it was for my own good. She by no means took it to the frustrating extent as the piano example. This article really upset me because I know that this type of parenting happens often. My question though, is how do the children feel about being parented in this manner. Do they even realize the differences between them and some of their friends?


No comments:

Post a Comment