Sunday, February 10, 2019

Week 6_Yueming Tan, A01

In the article "On Some College Campuses, AFocus On Asian American MentalHealth" by Katherine Kam, the author mentions that most Asian American students suffer from depression at the university, and a few choose suicide. The pressure on these students comes mainly from the influence of the myth of “Model minority” and the family. For me, Model minority's prejudice will only make more Asian American students lose themselves. They have to force themselves to achieve academic success to meet the expectations of others. This is terrible because people will question me if I don't achieve academic success. As an Asian, my math is very poor, and I don't fit the role of this model minority.   On the other hand, most Asian American students listen to their parents when they choose a college major. The reason why most Asian Americans study finance, business, management, and engineering at college because most Asian parents believe that this profession can make children earn more money. I feel sad about this because my brother chose business and he never thought about what he liked and pursued. 
On the other hand, I feel that personal shame makes Asian Americans learn not to seek help. I think this is the influence of Asia's "shame culture." People pursue a career and academic success, and if people know that you have depression, they will choose to leave you. Asking for help is not a shame. I think colleges should set up health classes to guide students if they maintain a good mental state and if they need help.






  • Katherine Kam, Katherine Kam, Katherine Kam, Katherine Kam, Katherine Kam, & Katherine Kam. (2017, October 13). Projects: Asian American Mental Health and more. Retrieved from http://katherinekam.com/projects/
  • http://reappropriate.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/depression-sutdent.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment