Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4_Emerlad Vang_A03

This week's readings were insightful. I didn't know that universities could manipulate their way into getting students' money. Capitalism is growing more on campuses with the addition of food chains, cafes, food trucks, and etc. For my reading, "A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis Respond to Occupy Movements", I was quite surprised at the different responses. I always thought that Davis had good thoughts for their students but I guess it wasn't like that. 2011 is a long time ago, so I guess the University has had a lot of time to think about their decisions. Berkeley made it clear to the students that they were trying their best to help them, while Davis had focused on the expense of the damages and mess made during the protest. Of course, the announcement of help for the middle class stops the students from creating more damage; Berkeley was on the right track. Davis. I have no idea what they were thinking; complaining about the mess and expenses of clean up will not stop the students from riling up until a situation is met. I'm sure both colleges had damages, but Berkeley responded to please students. Davis only responded what would please themselves, blaming students for wasting money. I think this all ties back to how colleges became capitalist, more so than others. Davis was probably more capitalist than Berkeley, focusing on their money intake rather than what was best for the students. I also come from a middle class. Reading this frustrates me that instead of getting news about a new program, we get complaints. Why is it that college expenses keep rising year by year? Is it an increase in college buildings, books, classes, professors, etc? I'm sure there was a time colleges were much lower in tuition and that it can be achieved again.

References:

  • (Article.) Retrieved from                                                                     https://ivn.us/2011/12/19/a-tale-of-two-campuses-berkeley-and-davis-respond-to-occupy-movements/
  • (Money wrung out of people.) Retrieved from  https://climateandcapitalism.com/2012/06/25/capitalist-accumulation-illustrated/

No comments:

Post a Comment