Sunday, January 20, 2019

Week 3-Ao Yang-A01

Week 3 Blog
Ao Yang
915050255
ASA 002 A01


For this week, I am assigned to read one article called “Navigating Graduate Education as a First-generation, Hmong American Woman: An Autoethnography”. To be honest, it is my first time to read autoethnography which is a combination of autobiography and ethnography. This genre is quite impressive that audiences could get important information from an unique perspective. This article introduces that a Hmong American woman received unequal treatment from her White American professor and the whole process that how she dealed with cultural issues and figure out her self-identity. As a first generation Hmong American in her school, she faced discrimination and lost her courage to fight against unequaity initially. From this article, I reflected and gained a lot. I found out that there are several similarities with the character. I am an international Chinese student who studied in an America's univeristy. There is no denying that we also faced discrimination against Chinese, such as “ Chinese students have a higher rate of plagiarism” and “ all Chinese students are rich”. At first, i am confused how to response these comments. But now, I know I should know my own self-identity and be proud of it while communicating with others. By that, I still have onequestion: how can we avoid this cultural issue from the root in academia?





References:
1. Mouavangsou, K. N. 2016. Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation of Hmong Americans. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
2. [Digital image]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://destinysodyssey.com/personal-development/self-development-2/self-concepts-self-constructs/self-identity/


No comments:

Post a Comment