Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4 Anna Bamford A02

Anna Bamford
1/27/19
A02

Out of this week's readings, I thought that the most interesting was Amy Block Joy's account of her interview with a Davis police detective after she blew the whistle on embezzlement in her department at UC Davis.  The details and results of her actions are unclear, as the reading only includes the first chapter of her book "Whistleblower," in which she recounts the contents of the interview, her feelings during the experience, and describes some of her experience leading up to the interview.  I would be interested to hear more about her story and gain a clearer understanding of the embezzlement she alludes to in her writing.
I thought that this reading connected somewhat to the article "Why We Should Fear University, Inc." by Fredrik deBoer.  DeBoer describes how American universities are becoming structured like corporations, and the impacts this has on campus politics.  When I think of whistleblowing, I usually think of either corporations or the government.  I thought it was interesting to read about whistleblowing in academia, something I hadn't considered before, after reading the article comparing universities to corporations.
It's been strange reading articles about UC Davis, since they always show very different sides of the school than those I have experienced.  I don't know much about administration at this school, since I only ever interact with students and professors.  It also makes you think about the scale of the school, and how I'm just going to the same five or so buildings every week but there's so much going on all the time outside of my scope.

Image result for Amy Block Joy

Block Joy, A.  (2010)  Whistleblower.  Bay Tree Publishing.

DeBoer, F.  (2015)  Why We Should Fear University, Inc.  The New York Times Magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment