Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4 - Skye Jin A01


Among reading materials of Week 4, the most impressive passage would be Why We Should Fear University, Inc. Against the corporate taming of the American college by FREDRIK deBOER for me. As an international student in university, I have resonated with the things described in the content since these really happened in my daily life----just like what is indicated by Fredrik, the University tends to like a corporation. I felt the same when I saw increasing tuition bills were sent to me. Instead of paying attention to provide comfortable and academical learning conditions, the college seems to more focus on maximizing the profit from students. Based on "Occupy movements", it is easily shown that students are unsatisfied with the way the campus of UC Davis to solve this problem. Will a student choose a university that its education level and tuition are not proportional? The answer is definitely no. In my opinion, what the campus did was harmful for academic reputation in the long run because there will be decreasing excellent students choose Davis due to campus's attitude towards education. Then, my question would be: how does the university balance its tuition with a similar academic level through a series of adjustments?

Image result for tuition

Reference:
Image, Retrieved from https://theorion.com/61566/opinion/increased-tuition-raises-questions-and-encourages-struggle/

No comments:

Post a Comment