Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4 Wenjie Xie A02



For this week, I read the article “Why we should Fear University” by Fredrik DeBoer. As a senior, I’ve seen huge differences happened in UC Davis campus between now and the one that I firstly met. I am greatly impressed by the phrase in the article that “…the way universities operate, every day, more and more like corporations”. I could not agree more. As Starbucks been replaced by Peets, the latter who promises to provide the university coffee beans for all its coffee making courses; as the sidewalk always been blocked because of the ongoing building renovation… The Dyson hand dryer in the restroom even makes me confused about the reason that I attend college. Higher education seems more likely to be a service, and the students turn out to be its customers. Even I learned that nowadays, university needs much more funds to operate than past days, I am still worried about the educational function would be curtailed without having somebody fix the line.

                                       Image result for uc davis mondavi center


Question: 
How to control unnecessary spending on school facilities?

Reference

deBOER, F. Why We Should Fear University Inc. The New York Times Magizine: The Education Issue. September 9, 2015.

Mondavi Center. UC Davis. Jan. 27th 2019. Retrieved from https://www.ucdavis.edu/calendar/arts-entertainment/mondavi-center/

No comments:

Post a Comment