Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4- Kenta Nishiyama A03

From the reading, "Why we should fear university" from Fedrick Deboer, it was about the prevalence of the corporatism in the university. The increase of the business that has interested in profits and advisement has been decreasing the actual academic enterprise. It`s was an interesting reading that changes my perspective on those corporations. I always wonder those enterprises are doing for the best for the students in terms of the studies and liberal views. However, it does gives pressure and restriction to the students in their campus life. I thought there were few enterprises that I felt weird to have in UC Davis that does not relate with the academic purpose. In fact, when I came to the UC Davis at the first time, the numerous number of services has surprised me, for instance, there is a hotel at the edge of the campus. I felt the reading could relate with the existence of the hotel in the UC Davis, that there is an increase in administrative jobs. Also, I`m not too sure that does it relates to the reading but there are services held in the gym, which gives condoms for the students for free. I felt students have been offering by the advertisement of the firms and it could use students as a tool for profits. As a result, it does give pressure and uncomfortable environment for the students.
Deboer, F. (2015). Why should we fear university, Inc. The New York Times magazine. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/Nishiyama/Downloads/Why%20We%20Should%20Fear%20University,%20Inc.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment