Sunday, January 20, 2019

Week 3 - Yufei Liu - sec A04


Although there are more and more Asian American students in Graduate schools nowadays, Asian subgroups such as Hmong, Laotian, and Cambodian students are still underrepresented. Furthermore, being a first-generation student, first-generation American Citizen or even international student can make one’s graduate student life much harder. As an international student myself, I can very much relate to Manee Moua’s Navigating Graduate Education as a First-generation, Hmong American Woman: An Autoethnography. As one of the underrepresented groups, I also believe storytelling or autoethnography is a great way to educate people about us, our culture, our believes, and why we do what we do. Many people, including Asian Americans would consider me as a “FOB”, short for “Fresh Off the Boat”. They might stereotype me for anything I do, but what they don’t see is the struggle I have to go through just like their first generation parents and ancestors here, anxieties for acceptance. Similar to Manee’s experience, I feel pressured to speak perfectly fluent English, and constantly have to doubt if I am smart enough to have earned a place in this prestigious American College. At the end of the day, I am grateful that minority researchers like Manee is not afraid of speaking up about her difference and strive to change the faces of higher education. She is my inspiration to stop doubting myself and make a difference in my community.


Joo, N. Reeves, R. Rodrigue, E. (2016, April 20). Asian-American success and the pitfalls of generalization. Brookings.

No comments:

Post a Comment