Sunday, January 20, 2019

Week 3_Yueming Tan, A01


In the article “Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation Of Hmong Americans” By Kaozong N. Mouavangsou, the author states that Hmong Americans mistreated in academic and social, including class, race, gender, and economics.  At the same time, Hmong Americans were affected by the myth of "model minority." This is a dominant white bias used to ignore and devalue other minorities and needs. The "model minority myth" is good for successful Asian Americans. But at the same time, it has had a significant impact on Asian Americans who have not succeeded. I can contact this point. People around me generally think that I am good at mathematics because I am Asian, I must be good at math; otherwise, I will be considered not a real Asian. At the same time, the author mentions that it is widely believed that Hmong female students are more successful in school than Hmong male students. According to data from six different Hmong families, parents are first-generation immigrants from Hmong and their children are going to college, and several of them have graduated from college. I can find that most first-generation immigrant parents generally believe that knowledge is power, and they encourage their children to go to college, get degrees, and find a good job to achieve financial stability.
I chose this picture because I believe that knowledge is power to freedom.




  • Mouavangsou, K. N. (2016). Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation of Hmong Americans. (Unpublished master's thesis). University of California, Davis, Davis, CA.
  • https://ahmongwoman.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/photoxpress_21050422.jpg?w=392&h=262

No comments:

Post a Comment