Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 4 - Anneka Christie A02

"I wish that committed student activists would recognize that the administrators
who run their universities, no matter how convenient a recipient of their appeals, are not their friends. I want these bright, passionate students to remember that the best legacy of student activism lies in shaking up administrators, not in making appeals to them. At its worst, this tendency results in something like collusion between activists and administrators."

This quote from "Why We Should Fear University, Inc." stood out to me because I had never thought of a university, let alone the university I attend, fell in love with, and will pursue a post graduate degree from, like a corporation but as I do more research I don't know how I did not see it sooner. The structure, mentality, and procedures alone show as much and its truly horrifying. Here I am, a member of an ethnic minority group, a woman, a first generation college student, a child from a single parent household, and a person who grew up in a very low income family. I can check off so many boxes that represent previously underrepresented, mistreated, and overall oppressed groups that I am like a walking poster child for the "American Dream". I must also recognize my privileges as growing up who I am, where I am and when I am. I am so poor that financial aid completely covers my tuition plus some change and in that regard I am lucky. I am from a "model" minority ethnic group and am only half at that and unfortunately my "white passing" features also make me lucky. Despite this and these benefits I have gained, I can see how the wave of corporate universities have had a huge impact on my every day life and probably much more of an impact on the lives of others. 

Being a student activist is something to be proud of and something to work really hard for. It is a title earned, not a title given. This other side of the coin and the critique of common activist approaches was honestly really shocking. It makes sense and although some do benefit from this system, it falls short to provide enough difference to the majority and fails to be enough. "That the contemporary campus quiets the voices of both students and teachers—the two indispensable actors in the educational exchange—speaks to the funhouse-mirror quality of today’s academy." It is frightening to think about what happens behind close doors and specifically behind the closed conference room doors of the administrators and high officials in university systems; what they do with student money, how they prioritize students and teachers low on the list, and why covering up and keeping people silent is a much better plan for them than doing their job (educating for the future and looking out for students as well as teachers). I am now interested in seeing more of the hidden stories and untold tales from activists, student or otherwise, that could have or did make a huge impact. Learning their strategies and what went well/what could have gone better, could help future change and progress actually happen. Although this article and this class in general has really opened my eyes and made me question, it has also given me hope.


Question: 
How can one "shake up administrators" and make a significant contribution without seriously jeopardizing one's position, benefits, etc. and while still being seen as respectful yet passionate, reasonable yet assertive?







References:

DeBoer, F. (2015, september 9) The New York Times Magazine. Retreived January 25, 2019, from https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/magazine/why-we-should-fear-university-inc.html

Ranzetta, T. (2018, July 4). NGPF Blog. Retrieved January 26, 2019, from https://www.ngpf.org/blog/paying-for-college/cartoons-a-not-so-humorous-look-at-student-loans/

No comments:

Post a Comment