Sunday, November 26, 2017

Week 10 - Eric Gip

Eric Gip
ASA 2 A02
Week 10

In my reading of "The Time to Fight is Now": When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue"  by Professor Kieu-Linh Valverde and Wei Ming Dariotis, the point of Asian American women being "often at the bottom of the university hierarchy" and providers of services rather than intellectual innovators resonated with me. I kept myself in an Asian Bubble my whole life so I never really saw much discrimination but as most of my friends are first or second generation Asian Americans I have noticed the conservative Asian values that linger in them, such as the male being "the man of the relationship" and always pays for their significant other. With these values instilled within the first generation of Asian Americans, it's easy to just be content with being comfortable and not pushing the women in your life to aspire to make the shift happen from the service positions to intellectual innovators. The change is happening slowly and I believe with the new generation of Asian American women more change will happen.

Question: What's the next step after "model minority"? Do we just keep slowly assimilating? 



















References:

Peng, Tara Z. Retrieved November 25, 2017, 10 Apr. 2015, sites.psu.edu/tarapeng/2015/04/10/model-minority-myth-why-people-of-all-races-cultures-and-other-minorities-need-to-stand-in-solidarity-against-this-toxic-myth/. Accessed 26 Nov. 2017.

Valverde, C. & Dariotis, W. M. (2017). “The Time to Fight Is Now”: When Asian American Women In Academia Go Rogue. Retrieved November 26, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment