Sunday, November 26, 2017

Week 10- Brian Dang

Brian Dang
Section A01
Week 10

Before attending this class, I put almost no thought into how my professors were being treated or the structure of academia. I was only here to come in and get a degree. This class changed that. Right from the beginning with Prof. Valverde's experiences in "Fight The Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia", I learned about the suffering a minority in academia can go through. When Amy Block Joy spoke in class, I learned how corrupt academia could be and how those who stand up can suffer. With this weeks reading, “The Time to Fight is Now': When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue,”  I learned how the experienced of the women I learned about in the past weeks can grow into a movement. I am amazed about how a movement that at first was a small group of women could grow into a force that could help change academia for the greater. It has opened by eyes to how a movement can grow. It has grown to the point where a someone like me who had no interest in this topic is now being educated about it.
I wouldn't have been exposed to this though if I hadn't attended this class, so my question is how can we spread these issues to people who would otherwise never be exposed to them.


References:
Valverde, K.L & Dariotis, W.M. (2017) The Time to Fight is Now': When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue. In Fight the Tower: Asian American Women Against Injustice in the Academy (pp. 1-46).


Valverde, K., (2013) “Fight the Tower”: A Call to Action for Women in Academia, 12(2), 367-419. 

[Digital image]. (n.d.). Retrieved November 26, 2017, from https://blogs.voanews.com/all-about-america/files/2016/04/Asian-Graduation-1200x576.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment