Sunday, October 29, 2017

Week 6- Angela Kang

Angela Kang
ASA 02- A02
Week 6


In this week’s reading, the article “On some College Campuses, A focus on Asian American Mental Health” by Katherine Kam, the article mainly focused on the different factors that cause academic pressure and depression among asian americans. Throughout the article, it mentions how the pressure given by parents and societal expectations play an important role in the development of depression. Asian parents often always enforce the idea of succeeding in academics in order to have a good life and a well paying job. However, with the constant reminders to do well it creates greater pressure among young asian americans. Growing up being a Korean American, my parents always reminded me how important my education and how I have to fulfill everything my parents couldn’t. Seeing how hard my dad worked to give me everything I needed gave me constant pressure that I can’t let him down. The societal expectations is also a big factor in depression as we are judged based on stereotypes. The stereotypes against asians are typically based on academics. Many people believe that all asians are smart and that we are spectacular in math. In my own personal experience, I remember constantly feeling bad about myself when I did bad in one of my classes because people expected me to always excel in all of my classes. I felt as if I was disappointing everyone. Although I did not get depression from all these high expectations, these factors can lead up to depression in other asian americans. While reading this article, I was surprised and sad to read that programs helping with mental health are not really organized within the school systems. Mental health is a very important matter but it is often looked down upon. Raising the awareness of mental health like the article states can help those individuals feel less pressure and allow them to know that it is okay to be different from the stereotypes given to asian americans.


Question: When did stereotypes start controlling everyone’s lives? Why are everyone so held up with stereotypes?



Resources:

Kam, K. 2013. “On Some College Campuses, A Focus On Asian American Mental Health.” Retrieved October 29, 2017.
[Digital Image]. Retrieved October 29, 2017. From https://lookinginthepopularculturemirror.wordpress.com/2015/12/02/asian-stereotypes-in-the-media/


No comments:

Post a Comment