Saturday, October 21, 2017

Week 5 - Gerald Malvin

Gerald Malvin
ASA 02
Oct 21st, 2017

     As I read the readings for this week, which is "Imperial University", I was very taken aback by the fact that colleges are run in a very imperialistic fashion. I never personally witnessed any demonstrations led by students or saw the Occupy movement. However, after I read the reading, I realized how colleges treat students very diferently. For example, I am an international student, not only I need to pay tuition fees that are multiple times higher than what local students pay, it was not as easy for me to get accepted in this university. I think that if I were a local, it wouldn't be as hard. However, I know that what I face is not very significant when compared to some others like how Professor Valverde and her tenure case. Contrary to the corporatization of universities, I disagree with the concept of imperialism of university. What makes me even more sad is how it is hard, almost impossible, to change anything about this since this is how the system in America works.

Question:
How is it that many people of certain races get treated differently tha people of other races, especially in college surroundings, when trying to voice their opinions and promote freedom of speech?
Image result for student protests uc davis
Resources:
Chatterjee, P., & Maira, S. (2014). The Imperial University. London: University of Minnesota Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment