Saturday, October 28, 2017

Week 6- Cory Takiguchi

Cory Takiguchi
A03
Week 6

The article, “Is WI-FI in Schools Safe?” by Brian Spero surprised me. I originally thought the article was about the risk of people stalking children through their google searches on the school WI-FI. To my surprise, Spero wrote about the health risks associated with WI-FI through EMF exposure. Spero claims that EMF exposure can have negative effects on a young child’s developing brain and neurological functions. Apparently, this issue is so serious that schools in France and Israel are taking actions to ban servers that cause EMF exposure. I have never heard about this issue in the US. I believe this is due to America’s goal of increasing technology through schools. When I was in grades K-8 I can’t recall using much technology in school with exception of going to the computer lab for certain projects. They even banned the use of cellphones during middle school years. However, my high school was heavy with technology. Students had to participate in an ipad program and were encouraged to use laptops or cell phones during class. (For the record I did not like the iPad program. I prefer to take notes with pen and paper and the ipad had too many nuances and system failures that just made tasks more difficult.) My sister, who is four grades below me, has used a school provided chromebook since 6th grade. Since the US school system is so inclined on transitioning to a paperless classroom with a higher emphasis on technology, I am not surprised they have not brought up the concern of EMF exposure. However, I am surprised that parents have not brought up this pressing topic. Maybe the US education system has done such a good job of suppressing claims that it hasn’t reached family households, but I still think parents should be educated about any potential harm to their children. Although I believe eliminating WI-FI and technology throughout high schools would be difficult, I would suggest monitoring their use during elementary and middle school. Those are the stages when a child’s brain is developing and still susceptible to harmful effects from outside agencies. The brain is a person’s greatest tool and it should be protected at all costs.

Are the benefits of technology worth the risk of possibly contracting a disease such as cancer? (I know this may seem like an obvious answer but think of how different your life would be without a cellphone or laptop.)


Spero, Brian. (2017, April 25). Is Wi-Fi in Schools Safe? Boston Parents Paper. Retrieved October 27, 2017.

Paton, Graeme. (2007, August 1). [Digital Image]. Wi-fi ‘should be banned in schools’. The Telegraph. Retrieved October 27, 2017 from

No comments:

Post a Comment