Saturday, October 28, 2017

Week 6 - EuJune Kim

Week 6
EuJune Kim
A03

Theme: Pathologizing of Asian Americans and the Americanization of Mental Illness and Other
Hidden Harms to Humans

I heavily related to this week's readings, especially "On Some College Campuses: Focus on Asian American Mental Health" by Katherine Kam/New American Media. This article puts forth the conclusion that while college is stressful for anyone, students of Asian American descent might face more mental and and psychological pressure due to their model minority standards and expectations. According to a cover story from the American Psychologial Association and studies from the National Asian American Study (NLSAAS), "Asian Americans are less likely to seek help for their emotional or mental health problems" than their white counterparts. They credit prejudice, family, and cultural matters to this reluctance to seek for help.

On campuses of higher education, this problem is highlighted much more. The article states that both Cornell and Stanford University have experienced Asian American students suicides that sparked a surge of the creation of task forces that investigated more into mental health issues surrounding Asian students. They found that Asian students faced most pressure from the model minority concept. an An "expectation [to]...high-achieving [academics]" holds these students to a standard and when they cannot meet that standard, their mental health begins to decline from all the stress and pressure. What is perceived to be "positive standards" actually do more harm to these students as the expectations are raised higher and higher to the point that is required more than encouraged. When these expectations are not met, the consequences can be devastating to a student's mental well-being.

Another contributor to Asian American students' mental issues is family expectations. Usually being a first generation college student or being from a family of immigrants, these students are drilled with the idea that their parents gave up everything they had back in the homeland and came to the United States to provide for their children a better future and a better education. Thus, it is only right that these children excel in school without a doubt and must repay the sacrifices their parents made them. This only puts further pressure on these college students as their parents' needs and wishes comes before their own child's. Asian Americans are far more pushed to studying areas that earn a higher income such as physiology, technology, or some STEM-related field. Even if the student is not cut out or does not have the passion to succeed in that area of academia, they feel as if they must still achieve high grades.

Personally, I have experienced both of these factors in my high school and college education. Coming from a family of immigrants, I was the second to go to an American university. Excelling in math and science, I was pushed to major in engineering and that is exactly what I did. I chose electrical engineering for my major even though I had no idea what electrical engineers did. My first three quarters at Davis was brutal and I was dangerously close to getting kicked out due to poor academics. Although I wanted to switch majors, my father kept telling me that electrical engineering careers earn a solid living and that this was the most secure major in terms of earning finances. Another quarter passed and I was still struggling to keep up. Combined with homesickness, anxiety, and self loathing, I really contemplated taking my life for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, I had friends to help me get through these tough times and after much convincing, my father approved of my wishes to change into economics. It has been 11 months since I wanted to lose everything, but now I am healthier and much more happier. I am looking forward to completing my undergraduate as a economics major and go on to take the LSAT and hopefully get into law school.

Question: What are some ways to connect with Asian parents? How can we make them realize that their children's happiness should come before their own expectations?



1) Kam, K. 2013. “On Some College Campuses, A Focus On Asian American Mental Health.” Retrieved October 28, 2017.

2) Meyers, Laurie. “Asian American Mental Health.” Monitor on Psychology, vol. 37, Feb. 2006, www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/health.aspx.

3) [Digital image]. (n.d.). Retrieved October 28, 2017, from http://www.vitamin-ha.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Funny-Asians16.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment