Thursday, October 26, 2017

Week 6: Noelani Pastor

Noelani Pastor
Section A01
Week 6

In the article "On Some College Campuses, A Focus On Asian American Mental Health," Katherine Kam describes what Asian Americans may be feeling as they attend college. She explains that most Asian American students have felt depressed in more ways than one which has lead some to commit suicide. Reading the statistics in the beginning of the article shocked me because I didn't realize how many of these particular students have committed suicide due to this feeling. Kam says that these students feel this way because of the pressure that they have to reach their parents expectations as well as succeed to make them proud. Coming from a home with two Filipino parents, I completely relate with them. My parents have pushed me so hard throughout my school years and embedded the idea into my head that in order to please them, I would have to have good grades and essentially be on top of my class. This does put a lot of pressure on many students with Asian parents. Many of my classmates had the same kind of pressure coming from their parents and most of us would complain about it because it really is draining. From the article, I've learned that some colleges are trying hard to decrease the amount of Asian American students suicides and are trying to help these students adapt. The fact that universities are making the effort says a lot. I think they are going to help these students in more ways than one which will remind them they are not alone. Especially for the students who have come from their home country, they will need this kind of support and comfort that comes from these support centers located at the school. 




Question: Are all universities aware of this issue? If so, how are they taking action to prevent the amount of suicides and depression among the Asian American student community?

References: 

1) Kam, K. (n.d.). On Some College Campuses, A Focus On Asian American Mental Health. Youth Radio. Retrieved from HTTPS://YOUTHRADIO.ORG/STAFF/NEW-AMERICA-MEDIA/.

2) Garcia, A. (n.d.). [Mental Illness in College Students]. Retrieved October 26, 2017, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge/201402/the-college-student-mental-health-crisis

No comments:

Post a Comment