Saturday, October 28, 2017

Week 6 - Katrina Estrella

Katrina Estrella
Section A03
Week 6

    Throughout our whole lives, we’ve always been warned of hazards that might put us in danger, and our parents have always tried their best to keep us safe from that. Parents know how to keep their children safe from exterior, physical harm, but in a developing age of technology, they won’t know how to keep their kids safe from “hidden harms” that may come with it. Reading through the article, it made me realize the effects Wi-Fi could have had on me. There are a ton of other reasons that could explain my chronic level of fatigue, but if it were true that Wi-Fi is one of the reasons for this, I wouldn’t know what to do. I grew up with the start of the integration of iPads in my middle school years. It was a wonder to learn using technology that allowed me to stay focused as a 12 year-old. I wonder if I only have a good opinion on technology because of the propaganda and early integration of technology that I was raised in. However, I am less inclined to believe that technology is evil and that our society is at ruin. Clearly, there are benefits to technology and I am glad at the generation in which I live in. But it only makes sense to be wary and push for regulation on technology and the truth behind it. Not only should we advance our society to be better, but also to be safe. In the end, we have to ensure the safety of our future generation for the survival of our species.

Question: I’ve heard of recent studies that debunk the myth that “our generation is glued to our screens” and instead emphasizes that technology improves some aspects of our lives. Would this type of information devalue/contradict the sentiment of these studies?


References:
Spero, Brian. (2017, April 25). Is Wi-Fi in Schools Safe? Boston Parents Paper. Retrieved October 28, 2017.

Sutovec, M. (2014, May 15). WiFi [Cartoon]. Retrieved from https://www.cagle.com/martin-sutovec/2014/05/wifi



No comments:

Post a Comment