The article on President Obama brought on some interesting point of views that I had never thought about. Prior to this article, I did know that there were some conversations on his racial ambiguity. The article touches on an important topic of the model minority through the commentaries done on Chris Lu as he is identified as Asian and the critiques focused on his Harvard schooling and inferred how he was very studios as the model minority suggests that Asians are smart and studios. Looking back to when he was doing his campaign I remembered my family and I were happy that change seemed to be apparent and there were some pros and cons but we never really thought of the effect that this would bring in the future. I was surprised of how he utilized this question to his advantage because it granted him the opportunity to address different minorities without really going into depth into many controversies with such topics; as he was seen as a positive step to decrease racial division. Also, in part, I do agree that rather than him being a solution, in the end, there was more division created and the same stereotypes persist with the different various ethnic groups. In conclusion, after watching the YouTube video I realized that being mixed could he helpful positive step in the direction of bringing awareness that people are not black/white/yellow/brown rather that blends do exist.
Question: How do we enable the awareness and thought that racial ambiguity is an option and that the government continues to place labels and barriers?
Resources
Okamura, Y.J. (2011). Barack Obama as the post-racial candidate for a post-racial America: perspectives from Asian American and Hawai’i. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0031322X.2011.563159
TedxTalks. (2018, March). Will America Ever Embrace Racial Ambiguity? Retrieved from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDV_w4DlxMg
No comments:
Post a Comment